Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Small Is Beautiful - Olympus E-PM1

I think I've found my ideal travel camera.  I am referring to the Olympus E-PM1, a MFT camera.  I had the E-PL1 before which is a great camera, but it bigger size, poor LCD screen and slow focus speed bugged me.  That is where the E-PM1 comes in.  It is smaller and have fast and quite focus.  In good light, it is as fast as my Canon USM lenses. While the kit lenses are good, I love prime lens and the bokeh they produce.

At the weekend, I purchased the Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens and promptly grabbed some test photos during a photo shoot in The City of London.  I was shooting with my Canon EOS 550D with 85mm f1.8 USM lens.  This is a photo taken with the E-PM1 with 45mm f1.8 lens.  I like the sharpness of the image and how the background is rendered.

E-PM1 with 45mm f1.8, 400 ISO, 1/200s @ f2
Under close examination, noise is slightly higher in the shadow area than the Canon 550D, but I am still very happy with its performance.  I can see myself going everywhere with this camera.  I just need to get hold of a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens to go with it and I have the ultimate travel camera for me.

What I will say though the E-PM1 is not as good as my Canon 550D under close examination.  Noise in the shadow area is worse and there was less detail in the hair when viewed at 100%.  It will not be my first choice for photo shoots, but for all other occasions, it will be more than adequate.

If you've enjoyed reading this post, please go to My Facebook Photography Page and click on Like.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment