Thursday, October 4, 2012

Boxers of Lions Boxing and Fitness

James
James

These are the portraits of boxers taken at Lions Boxing and Fitness.  For James and Thomas, I remove clutter behind him so you only look at the boxers.  To achieve that, I shot with my 50mm F1.8 lens fully open and used a Nikon SB800 behind to provide rim light.  In post I increase saturation and contrast to add drama.


James
Thomas

With Dan, I want to emphasis him so moved the light higher up pointing down.  With a grid fitted, the light drop off is much more defined so the surrounding is much darker.  Again I increase saturation and contrast after.  The bruising on the left eye is courtesy of our makeup artist Charli.

Dan
Dan

The final boxer was Alistair.  I wanted some action shots of him punching a punch bag.  In my mind I’ve already settled for a black and white image and used bare flashes to light him.  I wanted dark ambient light level to achieve that.

Alistair
Alistair

I converted to 97% mono in Photoshop, so it is not completely black and white.  I thoroughly enjoyed shooting with the boxers.  They were really friendly.  I would like to thank all the boxers that day, some of them I did not have time to work with.  Finally I would like to thank Danny who runs the gym for letting use shoot there and arrange for the boxers.

If you've enjoyed reading this post, please go to My Facebook Photography Page and click on Like.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment