Sunday, January 7, 2018

Kamlan 50mm F1.1 on Micro Four Third User Experience

A couple of years ago I bought a Zhongyi Speedmater 25mm F0.95 and was very happy with it.  I wanted something similar in the 45mm focal length and could not justify the cost of the Panasonic 42.5mm F1.2.  Recently another Chinese lens maker, Kamlan, released a 50mm F1.1 lens.  It is again totally manual focus lens which I am happy with.  The cost is low enough not to be an issue if it turns out to be garbage.

Here is the lens in it box and packaging.  It is welled packed an it arrived in good condition.




It is a very small lens and it balances well with my Olympus OMD EM-10.  The aperture ring is click less but is not easy to turn.  The focus ring is smooth but take more effort to turn than I like and nothing as smooth as the Zhongyi 25mm.  I was able to shoot a few images on a short trip to London.  They were shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom only.  All were shot at F1.1.








I will say focus is difficult at F1.1.  The depth of field is very thin and there were quite a few slightly out of focus shots, but when focus is correct, they look half decent.  I will be returning from trip from Hong Kong soon with more images and my verdict of this lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment